Forums / Media / Video Games

38,729 total conversations in 2,710 threads

+ New Thread

Nintendo suddenly teasing a first party M rated game called "Emio"

Last posted Aug 04, 2024 at 09:37PM EDT. Added Jul 10, 2024 at 12:28PM EDT
8 posts from 7 users

Nintendo just suddenly uploaded this teaser this morning to all their YouTube channels and social media pages, accompanied by a hashtag going "WhoIsEmio." The only confirmed details in the trailer is that it is in fact a Nintendo first party game as it ends on their logo, is coming to Switch as it starts on its logo, and it's rated M for mature as can be seen in the corner of the North American version of the teaser. The Japanese that appears translates to "The Smiling Man" according to others.

My two biggest guesses on what Nintendo's teasing:

1. Nintendo's first new horror IP in over two decades (last one was Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube), with the "Smiling Man" being a paranormal entity.

2. A psychological detective thriller about catching a serial killer called the "Smiling Man."

Either way I'm certainly interested, this came out of nowhere and if it is indeed a horror game then it'll be quite intriguing to see Nintendo dip back in to the genre again 22 years after Eternal Darkness.

Now that's a pretty left field announcement, a new entry in an IP that hasn't gotten a new one in over 30 years (and we're talking a super "OG" IP that was worked on my Gunpei Yokoi). Kinda reminds me of when Kid Icarus: Uprising was announced, as at the time that IP had been dormant for decades as well. I guess the remakes of the first two sold pretty well. Still worth noting that again this does still mark a very interesting turn for Nintendo, as this will be the first fully in-house developed M rated game from them.

Rylade475 wrote:

So it turns out Emio is actually a new entry in the Famicom Detective Club series

I loved the duology, so it's actually wild that we're getting a fourth FDC.
And yes, I say fourth because there is a hidden third game that was only released on the Satella View back in the 90's called BS Detective Club: Lost Memories in the Snow.

Okay that’s actually a brilliant way to announce a new entry in a long-dormant ip ngl

I might actually want to get this

Sup! You must login or signup first!